Me, Mom, Aunt Jo, Uncle Bob, and Cousin John

Me, Mom, Aunt Jo, Uncle Bob, and Cousin John
Me, Mom, Aunt Jo, Uncle Bob, Cousin John

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Kerri

I just got back from a little jaunt over to the Dallas area to visit friends. I stayed in a hotel and enjoyed the solitude I now come to appreciate more and more. After a lovely visit, I returned to the hotel too tired to find a place to eat and not having room service; I went down to the hotel Starbucks bar and ordered a personal pizza to take up to my room. While waiting, I sat there quietly watching the CNN news. A friendly, attractive, young women began chatting with me about current events. I asked her what she was doing here. She told me she was a bank auditor investigating banks' home forclosures. Her name was Kerri and she was 28, the same age as my youngest daughter, Kinsey. She had not married or had children yet. When she found out I was a full time caregiver to my mom who had Alzheimer's, she moved down 2 bar seats to sit right next to me, and began asking questions. I found out from her that she turned down a soccer scholarship to stay home and help her mom take care of her grandmother who had Alzheimer's for 10 yrs. Her mom was single and worked full time at an 8 to 5 job then came home and took care of her the rest of the time. Kerri stayed with her grandmother during the day except when nurses and aides were there. I realized there are so many sacrifices, families all over, are making for their loved ones. We talked long after the pizza was ready and became cold. I pray God blesses Kerri and her mother for their selfless care and sacrifices and all the other that they represent worldwide.

No comments: