Me, Mom, Aunt Jo, Uncle Bob, and Cousin John

Me, Mom, Aunt Jo, Uncle Bob, and Cousin John
Me, Mom, Aunt Jo, Uncle Bob, Cousin John

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Blessing and Gratitude

It would be totally remiss and ungrateful if I didn't talk about how we have even been able to keep Mom in her home these years of her illness. If I said only by the grace of God, it wouldn't be true or fair for the millions of sons and daughters who take care of their parents without this particular blessing that I DO thank my Heavenly Father for; but I also thank the wise, prudent, and hard working efforts of my own earthly father as well, to save and provide for his family. It was years ago that he set up a trust fund for Mom, and also invested in long term health care, when he was first diagnosed with Parkinson's.
After Mom struggled with taking care of Dad for so long, and finally moved up here to Oklahoma so we could help ease the burden; she tried to make me promise to put her in a nursing home, should she ever get a long term illness such as what Dad had. She knew how taxing, physically and emotionally, it was. "I can't promise that, Mom...we'll do all we can do for you if that time ever comes."
We decided at the time of her diagnosis, to sell our house around the corner from her and move in with her, because she was comfortable and familiar with it, and it had an upstairs where we could have a semblance of privacy.
I realize this is a huge blessing and will always be grateful for my dad's financial wisdom and hard work his whole life and for thinking ahead for his family.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

He was a brilliant man. You have every right to be proud of him. So glad he took care in his planning. Love you dear friend.
Cindy