Me, Mom, Aunt Jo, Uncle Bob, and Cousin John

Me, Mom, Aunt Jo, Uncle Bob, and Cousin John
Me, Mom, Aunt Jo, Uncle Bob, Cousin John

Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Recent Day in the Life - from Mom's viewpoint

7:30am - Am I awake or amd I still dreaming. Where am I? Who is that girl in the bed next to me? She seems familiar... she's smiling; I guess I'm safe. I don't want to get up. I don't want her touching me. Why is she changing my underpants and cleaning me? I don't like that. I'm mad cause she's brushing my teeth and hair. It doesn't feel good. I can do this myself. They keep telling me I can't get up on my own or walk. I'll show them...Oh, maybe they're right. Where is she wheeling me to in this wheelchair. That band thing is squeezing my arm again. It hurts. She tells me to relax and not move. Now she's hurting me again by sticking my finger. Ouch! There's food and orange juice in front of me. I'm not hungry or thirsty.
9:00am Now, she's wheeling me into another room. This is not my house. What building am I in. When is Wilbur getting back? I wonder when Ken and Twyla are coming. Oh, there's Bob! How did he find me here? I'll just take a little nap. Kathi's trying to wake me up. She says lunch is ready. I'm too sleepy...not hungry. Who's making that racket in the kitchen? Why are they laughing? I'm trying to sleep in here. Waking up again. I need to go home. Where's my car? Why can't I get up? Oh, I'm in my classroom. Ok, kids line up for the program - pilgrims come in first...now the indians. Getting sleepy. The TV is on but I don't understand what's going on. Who's little children are those. Why doesn't Kathi make them be quite, they make me nervous. Kathi says they're my great grandchildren. Bob seems to really enjoy them. I've got to get to church to practice the piano and organ for the choir and I can't find my music. This is upsetting.
2:00pm - The nurse is here. She ask if I'm hurting anywhere. I'm trying to figure out where I hurt. I can't seem to express what's going on with my body. Wait, don't do that, It's uncomfortable and humiliating, especially with my daughter here, but I need someone to hold my hand. My tummy does feel better... but please don't do that again. Kathi says I should at least drink an Ensure, but nothing sounds tasty to me. Why can't I remember how to swallow? When I do, I just seem to get choked.
8:00pm - Kathi says it's time for bed. I don't want to stay here. I should go home. This is not my bedroom. I don't want to change. She's undressing me. I could do this myself if I wanted to. This is embarrassing. This is a comfortable bed, whose ever it is. So sleepy. Oh no, I dropped a needle. I've got to get this dress ready for Kristen for her pageant next week. So many ruffles. Who is my roommate, she's nice and this is a nice dorm. I just wish they wouldn't be so loud in the room over us and in the hall. Am I in the right bed? I wish she would turn off her light so I can sleep.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I can't even imagine how frustrated she must be. She is blessed to have you. You are blessed to have her. I know this has to be so difficult. So proud of you.
Cindy